About this course…
Recently revised! – A companion course to Basic Electrical Fundamentals, this course features a detailed, hands-on training regimen on the use of electrical testing equipment, electrical system trouble shooting and interpretation of electrical drawings. These are the basic skills required by any technician to safely and efficiently maintain and operate electrical equipment.
Who should attend…
This course is intended to teach basic testing and troubleshooting skills to electricians, technicians and multi-craft personnel so they can work safely around electrical control and power circuits. This course is also beneficial to non-electrical workers who must assist electrical workers in their tasks.
Attendees must have a solid understanding of basic electricity acquired through classroom/OJT or completion of Shermco’s Basic Electrical Fundamentals training program.
Course Length 3 days (24 contact hours)
Each student will receive a course text and Ugly’s Electrical Reference.
- How to use Digital Volt Ohm Meters (DVOMs) to safely test a variety of components
- How to interpret nameplates and dataplates of common electrical devices
- Proper method for operating switches and circuit breakers
- The explanation and use of overcurrent protective devices, molded-case circuit breakers and low-voltage power circuit breakers
- How to effectively troubleshoot electrical control and power circuits
- How to interpret electrical drawings and prints
- Safe work practices for voltage testing, megohmmeters and micro-ohmmeters