Shermco Training Store
Splicing and Termination of Medium-Voltage Cables
About this course…
Medium voltage cables (5-46kV) are utilized in industrial and utility power distribution systems as well as for connections to electric machinery. Due to the difficulty in insulating for these voltages as well as controlling partial discharge, the splicing materials, kits, components and techniques must be used to assure safe and reliable operations. Different types of splicing techniques are reviewed as well as the electrical tests needed to assure expected performance values.
Who should attend…
Field and plant maintenance technicians and others who perform splicing and termination of medium-voltage solid dielectric cables
Students should have basic electrical training, some field experience and basic knowledge of medium voltage power systems is highly recommended.
Course Length 4.5 days (36 contact hours)
Each student will receive course text.
- Basic electrical principles and construction of common types of medium-voltage cables
- How to properly prepare cables for splicing
- Proper techniques for hand-taped splices, heat-shrink and cold-shrink splices and terminations
- Perform electrical tests to verify the integrity of the splices and terminations made during lab sessions
- Interpret electrical test results to evaluate the cable
- Tools required for cable splicing and terminations